Special Interest Group (SIG)
1. CPD – Continuing Professional Development
President: Prof. Dr. Mohd Zamri Saad
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Putra Malaysia has been identified as a centre for continuing education in veterinary medicine. The faculty is committed to the concept of lifelong learning through its continuing education center known as the Centre for Tropical Animal Production and Disease Studies (CENTRAS). The faculty will use CENTRAS to develop the modules of continuing education programs as well as outsourcing modules of other universities in trying to fulfill the continuing education need of registered veterinarians.
2. MSAVA (Malaysian Small Animal Veterinary Association)
President : Dr. Clement Anthony
In 1977 to 1983, a group of senior private small animal practitioners of Indo-Pak graduates in the Klang Valley mooted the idea of an association catering for their needs in term of continuing education programme and to solve emerging problems. On 5th August 1988, a group of small animal practitioners discussed the idea of formation of SAPAM. A working committee was formed to look into the possibility of forming an association for the small animal practitioners of Malaysia (SAPAM). On 11th November 1989, after 16 months following the initiation of the association, the first gathering of the small animal practitioners of Malaysia was successfully held at the Pan Pacific Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. On 6th August 2002, the name SAPAM was changed to Malaysian Small Animal Veterinary Association (MSAVA).
MSAVA, then SAPAM, is formed with the following objective:
- To honour, promote and foster the interest and advancement of all those who are concerned with the art of practice of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery.
- To inculcate a stronger, meaningful and more active fellowship amongst the members.
- To uphold the dignity and ethics in the practice of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery and maintain high standards of professional conduct.
- To inform, liaise, and educate the public with regards to matters pertaining to the welfare and well being of companion animals with special reference to preventive medicine and disease control.
- To inform, educate and assist the Government, Local Councils and relevant authorities with matters pertaining to the practice of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery and disease control
- To promote and foster Animal Health and Animal Welfare and work closely with all agencies and authorities committed to the care and welfare of animals.
- To carry out such consultative and investment activities as is necessary for generating sufficient income for the running of the Association
3. MEVA – Malaysian Equine Veterinary Association
President: Dr. Shamsul Kamal b. Ismail
4. MNAWF – (Malaysian National Animal Welfare Foundation)
Deputy Chairman : Dr. Sivagurunathan a/l Siva Piragasam
The Malaysian National Animal Welfare Foundation was formed in April 1998 to promote a caring Malaysian society:
To promote a caring Malaysian society through creating awareness and a balanced approach to animal welfare for the well being of animal and mankind.
Aims and Objectives:
- To generate awareness and responsibility of all residents in Malaysia on animal welfare as part of the policy towards the creation of a caring Malaysian society.
- To develop strategies and programmes to promote animal welfare through the MNAW Council (under the patronage of the Minister of Agriculture), public agencies, institutions, private bodies and organisations.
- To undertake projects that will promote understanding and the practices of animal welfare as part of daily life of residents in Malaysia.
- To disseminate information on animal welfare through various media to the public, schools, community centres and other target groups.
- To collect and generate funds to undertake animal welfare projects.
- To undertake any other activities related to animal welfare.
- To establish linkages with other institutions and organisations, locally and internationally in matters associated with animal welfare.
Malaysian National Animal Welfare Foundation Wisma Medivet, 8, Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Tel: 6(03) 40435113, 40432420 Fax: 6(03) 4041 3660 Website: www.mnawf.org.my E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. MAVP – (Malaysian Association of Veterinary Pathology )
President: Prof. Dr. Mohd Zamri Saad
6. MAFAV (Malaysian Association of Food Animal Veterinarians)
President: Dato’ Dr. Vincent Ng In Hooi